How to create true fullscreen movies with Flash

Flash Player 9.0.28 is the first version that supports true full screen playback for Flash movies. Unfortunately this awesome feature won't be fully supported by the Flash Authoring Environment until version 9 comes out later this year, but with a small modification to your Flash 8 installation, you can already create flash movies that make use of this feature today. Here's a simple tutorial to make your flash movie run in full screen:

Before continuing with this tutorial, make sure that you are using at least Flash Player version 9.0.28. Prior versions of Flash Player 9 (9,0,16,0 and 9,0,20,0) don't support this feature yet. You'll need to upgrade to 9,0,28,0, which happens to be the first version to also work with Vista.

The key to the new feature is a new attribute to the Stage object in ActionScript, 'displayState'. This attribute takes two inputs:

• 'fullScreen': Sets the stage to display full-screen
  • 'normal': Default setting

Before you can go and set this attribute, you'll need to make a modification to your Flash 8 installation. Pull up the following file in your Flash installation folder:

Flash 8\en\First Run\Classes\FP8\Stage.as

Add the line "static var displayState:String;" to the file so it looks like this:

intrinsic class Stage
{
static var displayState:String;
static var align:String;
static var height:Number;
static var scaleMode:String;
static var showMenu:Boolean;
static var width:Number;

static function addListener(listener:Object):Void;
static function removeListener(listener:Object):Boolean;
}

Now you can set the displayState attribute in your flash movie. For security purposes Flash only allows the displayState to be set to fullscreen on user interaction, which means you cannot have a movie open in fullscreen mode by default. You'll need to add a button that captures the user's interaction in order to switch to full screen. In my example I simply created a toggle button:

toggle_btn.onRelease = function(){
  if(Stage.displayState  == "fullScreen"){
    Stage.displayState  = "normal";
  else{
    Stage.displayState  = "fullScreen"
}

If you want to detect that fullscreen mode has been entered or exited, you can use a new event listener function, onFullScreen:

EventListener = new Object;
EventListener.onFullScreen = function( bFull:Boolean ){
  // change  to fullscreen mode has been detected
  if(bFull){
    v_mc.vtxt  = "You are in Full Screen Mode";
  else{
    v_mc.vtxt  = "Everything is back to normal";
Stage.addListener( EventListener );

There's one more trick to this. Another security restriction requires a new attribute to be added to the EMBED tag, 'allowFullScreen'. You need to manually set this attribute to 'true':

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"
codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0"
width="320" height="240" id="fullscreen_flash" align="middle">

<param name="movie" value="fullscreen_flash.swf" /> <param name="quality" value="high" />

<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" />

<embed src="fullscreen_flash.swf" allowfullscreen="true" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="320" height="240" name="fullscreen_flash" align="middle"

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /> </object>

Unfortunately it seems like neither SWFObject or UFO support this new attribute, so you'll have to rely on the plain old embed tag for now.

Update: UFO does support the new attribute in version 3.21. Be sure to use the set the lowercase variable allowfullscreen:"true". SWFObject also supports it via so.addParam("allowFullScreen", "true").

And that's all you need to know to start building fullscreen flash movies. You can download the demo FLA here.

Thanks.
# Posted By Shane | 5/16/07 6:16 PM
update the fllowing file :
:\Documents and Settings\your name\Local Settings\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\Configuration\Classes\FP8\
Stage.as
# Posted By spark.fandlr | 5/17/07 9:36 PM
Very nice tutorial. Working with Safari,IE but not with Firefox.
# Posted By Anshul | 5/18/07 5:23 AM
Anshul, it should work fine with Firefox as well. Make sure that you are using the same version of the flash plugin across all broswers. The best way to do this is to check the version number in the top left corner of the SWF posted in the article.
# Posted By Julian | 5/18/07 8:20 AM
I have downloaded the sample, and it works perfectly even after republishing. But when I add the same code to my documents it does not work at all. What the problem may be? Do I have to adjust any special settings, or anything else? All swf files I tested in Opera with Flash Player 9.0.28.0.
# Posted By Denis | 5/21/07 12:44 PM
Thanks for a super tutorial. Works like a charm :D
# Posted By Sendron | 5/23/07 3:18 AM
Thanks. The directions and codes were very easy to follow. This was a big help.
# Posted By Kal | 5/23/07 8:22 PM
erer
# Posted By erer | 5/27/07 12:22 PM
Anyone knows how to make a movieclip fullscreen instead of _root?
I'm having a flashmovie that has a stage size of 600x400. in the _root i have a videoplayer called vidPlayerMc
(_root.vidPlayerMc). Now when i toggle the fullscreen button I only want the vidPlayerMc to go fullscreen, not the stage!

thanx in advance
# Posted By sjaakie777 | 5/27/07 12:28 PM
Great help, great tutorial!!! Thank you soooo much
# Posted By mane_mc | 5/30/07 10:04 AM
the keyboard input dont work in fullscreen
# Posted By microbot | 6/5/07 1:19 PM
sjaakie: you'll need to resize the video player to cover up the entire 600x400 stage, make it fullscreen. It'll seem like only the video player is going full screen. When leaving fullscreen, you need to resize it back to normal.
# Posted By Julian | 6/7/07 12:46 PM
Adobe just released the beta for flash player 9.0.60, which will include the ability to set a specific rectangular area of the stage to full screen. This will also allow for hardware acceleration for video playback. I'll be adding a blog post shortly.
# Posted By Julian | 6/11/07 9:10 AM
Great tute - just one caveat that I have not seen mentioned anywhere:

Your wmode parameter in the object/embed tags cannot be set to transparent if you'd like to see this behavior in action! If you just cannot get your movie to go fullScreen using the example above - be sure to check your wmode!
# Posted By josh | 6/14/07 12:32 PM
Hi,

Does this code/tutorial work with flash MX professional? I attempted the tutorial and it did not seem to work.
# Posted By Ewan | 6/21/07 1:08 PM
thanks
# Posted By ?? | 7/6/07 11:53 AM
Hi there. I've finally managed to get this chuffin' thing working.. although good things never last :/

Fullscreen-Mode+++ - OK
Fullscreen with Fullscreen 'Button' - NOT OK :S

Any idea how to remove the button once on Full screen?

Kindest Regards
# Posted By Nick | 7/7/07 4:57 AM
thanks for the tutorial, julian

i added this after i got a publishing error, and that fixed my problem:

import flash.display.Stage;
import flash.display.StageDisplayState;

however, when i use the toggle to go back to normal mode it resizes and then the screen goes blank - any thoughts?

i've tested in safari and firefox, same results, with fp mac 9.0.80.120 and using flash cs3 w/ as 2

thank you! :o)
# Posted By jodi Wigmore | 7/9/07 1:40 PM
Hey its Kool.. I did try is few weeks back. good to see it
# Posted By vini | 7/15/07 12:40 PM
Thank you very much!

I've been looking for something like this for hours. Thank you very much on this article, the only thing that I am trying to accomplish now is to center the movie. I guess that is just minor details now. Keep up the good work.

JD
# Posted By JD Remix | 7/25/07 12:08 AM
Wondering if this will work on all screen resolutions / displays.
Rocking a 23in, 1920x1200, cinematic display.
Wondering if the picture source simply is not large enough
or
If the fullscreen aspect only works for non cinematic displays?
(tutorial source file produces large white stripe on side of pic)
# Posted By harperholsinger | 7/26/07 6:06 AM
The full screen function should work on any screen resolution. I think your screen resolution simply is larger than the sample image supplied in the source file. Try a larger image and it should even fill up your screen.
# Posted By Julian | 7/26/07 7:06 AM
I downloaded your fla example and I recieve these errors ..

###############################################################

if(Stage.displayState == "fullScreen"){

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=AS, frame=1:Line 27: There is no property with the name 'displayState'.
      Stage.displayState = "normal";

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=AS, frame=1:Line 30: There is no property with the name 'displayState'.
      Stage.displayState = "fullScreen"

#############################################################

Any idea why this is doing this?

Thanks
# Posted By Dex | 8/1/07 5:07 PM
"**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=AS, frame=1:Line 26: There is no property with the name 'displayState'."

Read the tutorial carefully -- you need to modify one of Flash's class files (State.as) or the code won't compile.
# Posted By Tonio | 8/3/07 6:13 PM
I never found anywhere, on any website ... that Flash has a BIG Problem ... i won't swear .. but it took me 12 hours to figure out ...

<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />

this is true ... but they never said anything about

<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />

with wmode transparent .. it doesen't work ,,, wmode .. must be defined as 'window' or empty ... i hate Adobe ...
# Posted By Mihai Iorga | 8/8/07 12:28 AM
btw .. i forgot to mention earlier ... without wmode .. z-index ... of flash is on top of all :(
# Posted By Mihai Iorga | 8/8/07 7:33 AM
Great Tutorial. I don't know why i am able to view this on a pc put not on mac. I have the latest flash versions on all platforms.
# Posted By sergio bahamondes | 8/11/07 9:28 AM
Very nice tutorial. Works perfectly on IE Fox and Opera
# Posted By Angel | 8/13/07 6:16 AM
i am working on a customized flash player which has a contro panel at the bottom. On fullscreen i hide the control panel but when i press escape the control panel does not show up.
anyone knows the code to show hide the panel or a movieclip on fullscreen and on escape show the movieclip

vk
# Posted By vk | 8/28/07 1:51 AM
I made use of fullscreen feature in Flash 8 only by using this line:
Stage["displayState"]="fullScreen"
# Posted By Liviu | 9/6/07 1:29 PM
Guys, guys, guys... trying to use the "Test movie" function from the Flash application it self will result in all the probs mentioned above - in most cases.

Want it to work?
Export the movie to the disc as an swf-file. Double-click on that swf-file and the actual FlashPlayer starts it up and all works fine, or put the swf-file into a html page and run it trough your browser.
I have no clue - what "player" Flash is running on the "Test movie" function, but hello - it aint the FlashPlayer run as a standalone app.
# Posted By TheCore | 9/12/07 11:13 AM
Nice tutorial

While working under the hood of flash also do some work in the:
__________________________________________________________________________________

AsColorSyntax.xml
Flash 8\en\First Run\ActionsPanel\AsColorSyntax.xml

....
<identifier text="CustomActions.uninstall"/>
<identifier text="Stage.showMenu"/>
<identifier text="Stage.displayState"/> <- Add this
<identifier text="Stage.scaleMode"/>
....

ActionPanel.xml
Flash 8\en\First Run\ActionsPanel\ActionScript_1_2\ActionsPanel.xml

....
<folder name="Properties" id="Properties" tiptext="Properties of the Stage object" helpid="x20B38" version="6">
<string name="displayState" tiptext="Flash movie display state: normal, fullScreen"
helpid="" text="Stage.displayState" version="9" object="Stage"/>
....

And the html files (default,Flash_With_SCORM_2004,etc.)
...
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
$PO
<embed $PEwidth="$WI" height="$HE" name="$TI" align="$HA" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"; />
...

Notes

1) DON'T BACKUP YOUR XML FILES. Apparently Flash is a rather intuitive program that
will search your harddrive and find every copy of the XML files... and load them twice.
2) As mentioned by Mihai Iorga and microbot - Don't use fullScreen if your page requires
wmode transparent or keystroke dependent elements like input
- they either don't work or are disabled :(
3) Good pratice - Don't display fullscreen buttons if the player is below 9.0.28.0
ie. myFullScreenButton._visible=(Stage.displayState!=undefined)

Did I forget something?

Best to you all,
Jakob E
# Posted By Jakob E | 9/25/07 4:33 PM
The first time I tested the movie, I got

In the "Control" select "Delete ASO files" and the error went away!!
# Posted By Jorge Dominguez | 9/25/07 11:29 PM
Hello,

This tutorial works fine..
But my actionscript doesn't work in Fulscreen mode...
I was tryin to make a Mac OS X interface, but the dock doesn't work in Fullscreen mode..

Greetz Stephen
# Posted By s2soon | 10/23/07 2:55 PM
this tutorial is working fine for me to if i using firefox but when i try this open in IE 6.0 it not working
what is the reason?
# Posted By Isuru Udana | 10/29/07 11:44 PM
no me funciona con mozilla firefox, cual es el problema?
# Posted By zap | 11/20/07 6:51 AM
Hi Shane,
It's probably a bit late to say this, but you can still access this property via Stage["displayState"] =

[Quote]
"Very nice tutorial. Although I can't seem to get this to work. I updated the stage.as file like you have it. I downloaded your sample file and published it. But nothing. I get an error saying "There is no property with the name 'displayState'.""
# Posted By Stephen | 12/12/07 2:42 AM
hi,

I tried this tutorial and I also got the same errors:

###############################################################

if(Stage.displayState == "fullScreen"){

Stage.displayState = "normal";

Stage.displayState = "fullScreen"

#############################################################

I added the line of code to the stage.as file and and added the code to mt html file, but I still can't get it to work. Where have I gone wrong?
# Posted By samantha | 1/13/08 10:17 AM
Thank you very much, that's what I was looking for...

...and it works well also with Flash MX 2004, the path of "Stage.as" file is slightly different (First Run\Classes\Stage.as instead of First Run\Classes\FP8\Stage.as) but it works!
# Posted By Lucky141 | 1/16/08 3:17 AM
man thank you. that is incredible :) I can't describe how happy I am ^_^ thank you again
# Posted By melanholly | 1/23/08 1:09 PM
Great tip on Fullscreen vid using Flash 8.
Question: If my video is on a larger .SWF stage (not filling the stage already), how can i just have the video go fullscreen, instead of the swf it is a part of?

Thanks in advance

Justin
# Posted By Justin Heaney | 2/2/08 6:27 PM
How i can hide the "Pres Esc to exit..." ???
# Posted By jd | 2/12/08 10:54 PM
You cannot hide the "Press Esc to Exit..."

Also for this to behave properly in firefox on Mac,
make sure to have
'wmode' anything but 'transparent' like some guys have mentioned above.

Otherwise on Mac when trying to exit fullscreen mode, the browser will be blank until you click in the address bar or double click somewhere else.

thank goodness for the comments in this post, helped me tons!
# Posted By bachir | 2/14/08 4:04 PM
I added the displayState modification to the "Stage.as" file but I still get the error indicating that it does not recognize that command.

*Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Actions, frame=1:Line 5: There is no property with the name 'displayState'.
if(Stage.displayState == "fullScreen"){

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Actions, frame=1:Line 6: There is no property with the name 'displayState'.
Stage.displayState = "normal";

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Actions, frame=1:Line 9: There is no property with the name 'displayState'.
Stage.displayState = "fullScreen"

Total ActionScript Errors: 3     Reported Errors: 3
# Posted By VH | 2/19/08 10:11 PM
I have encountered a strange trouble: my movie start with with a fixed frame (Stop(); action on timeline), then the users must click a button to go away.
I I try to add the fullscreen action command to this button, it don't works. So, because I need this passage - from first fixed frame to followings - I have done another test: I put on first frame a black mc, that cover all the stage, with the toggle_fullscreen button in the middle; the button have a second action, inside its onRelease event, that hide the black mc, showing the first frame of movie.
But - and this is the strange trouble... - when I test it in the browser this is what occur:
the first time I click the button, the movie go to fullscreen but the blach mc don't disappear. If I click again the button, going back to 'normal', and then click again going to fullscreen, this time all works fine: the movie go to fullscreen and the black mc is hide.
How can I solve this?
Which is the reason why?
I'll appreciate very much any help by you...
and comlpiments for your tut!
# Posted By Enrico | 2/28/08 1:57 AM
Hey all,
Great tutorial! I am a newbie and I managed to get it
to work! Is there a way to do this for a standalone
.exe player file? I wanted to put something on a CD
it do the exact same thing upon auto run? Any ideas?
Also, do you have to have the button what if I just
wanted it full screen without clicking on the button!

You guys are the best!
# Posted By Kristina | 3/6/08 6:28 AM
I am encountering this error. Please help me.
<pre><font color="blue">**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Layer 1, frame=1:Line 2: There is no property with the name 'displayState'.
if(Stage.displayState == "fullScreen"){

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Layer 1, frame=1:Line 3: There is no property with the name 'displayState'.
Stage.displayState = "normal";

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Layer 1, frame=1:Line 6: There is no property with the name 'displayState'.
Stage.displayState = "fullScreen"

Total ActionScript Errors: 3     Reported Errors:3</font><pre>
# Posted By Kapil | 3/10/08 11:28 PM
Really nice tut, nice job !!! Thank you
# Posted By svg | 3/12/08 7:10 AM
Ok, this was working for me and a colleague on two different computers (ones a Mac and ones a PC) but today all of a sudden it isn't. I do remember Adobe updating yesterday, did they release a "fix" for this? Is there a way around it?
# Posted By Matt | 3/19/08 8:27 PM
hi i am a complete noob with limited action script knowledge, i am using a demo of flash 9 and got everything to work ok with action script 2, my problem is that when i expand to full screen my movie moves to the top left-hand corner, is there a way of controlling where the expanded movie is positioned, i want it centred within the fullscreen mode, thanks, great tutorial by the way!
# Posted By hugo | 4/4/08 3:05 AM
input text not work in full mode :(
# Posted By gamemonster | 4/5/08 12:47 AM
Hi all,
I am playing with fullscreen in flash, and id does not seem to work if I try to switch to fullscreen mode without a user event (click on a button, for instance)
I also tried to do this from javascript (setvariable), with no luck so far...
Any ideas?
Thanks,
remio
# Posted By remio | 4/8/08 12:59 AM
No work :(
It has that same error that everyone seems to have, although i have edited the file u told me to. Also i uploaded it to see if it worked just in case and it doesn't, neither does the example i downloaded from you. Thanks
# Posted By Olii | 4/9/08 10:48 AM
You know when i Tried The Example at the Top of this Page on Vista..

After i Click the Full screen....
All i can see is a two diagonal Color of BLue and Brown..

But when I try it on XP, Its Working FINE..

After i make my Own full screen SWF ITs Working in Xp, But in Vista just like this commment happen.

_________________________________________________________
thanks for the tutorial, julian

i added this after i got a publishing error, and that fixed my problem:

import flash.display.Stage;
import flash.display.StageDisplayState;

thank you! :o)
# Posted By jodi Wigmore | 7/9/07 1:40 PM
_____________________________________________________________

And i also followed its rules and still not working on VIsta..

And Suggestions??
# Posted By Cedrick Owen R. Galang | 4/10/08 6:27 PM
How come when I open this pag in internet Explorer..

The flash i think is not working.. But i can see the Flash Movie

its just that when i click the full screen button.. it does nothing
but in Firefox it working without any problems...
# Posted By Cedrick Owen R. Galang | 4/10/08 7:12 PM
thx very much for this graet manual!
works fine even out of flash7.
tested on mac osx 10.3/10.4: firefox / safari / opera.
# Posted By Andy | 4/15/08 1:14 PM
Thanks bro, perfect.
# Posted By Prabs | 5/2/08 5:30 PM
Where do I set the displayState attribute in my Flash
movie? Where exactly does the code go?
# Posted By Patricia | 5/2/08 5:31 PM
"Where do I set the displayState attribute in my Flash
movie? Where exactly does the code go?"..

create a movieclip called toggle_btn, then on frame 1 of the main movie, assign the event handler for toggle_btn,

toggle_btn.onRelease = function()
{
if(Stage.displayState == "fullScreen")
{
Stage.displayState = "normal";
else
{
Stage.displayState = "fullScreen"
# Posted By Prabs | 5/2/08 7:04 PM
Where do I set the displayState attribute in my Flash
movie? Where exactly does the code go?"..

toggle_btn.onRelease = function()
{
if(Stage.displayState == "fullScreen")
{
Stage.displayState = "normal";
else
{
Stage.displayState = "fullScreen"

THIS WORK. Thank you!

How can I center the movie in FullScreen view?
# Posted By DreamGirl | 5/2/08 9:43 PM
Hi, Looking for some help. When I click on the expand screen icon (when playing a flash movie) the screen goes to a grey color - I have sound, but no movie. If I hit
If I hit the escape key, it goes back to the regular movie size and plays on. Any thoughts?
# Posted By Jim | 5/11/08 11:04 AM
Great Tutorial!
and thanks also to all those who wrote their little fixes, which really got me going.

one thing i needed in order for this to work which was not mentioned:
for firefox, i the embed code, you should also add:
allowFullScreen=&quot;true&quot;
within the embed tag. that did the trick for me!
# Posted By yotam | 6/25/08 7:43 AM
Any idea on how to activate input text in fullscreen mode?
Please guide.
A great tutorial I must say.

Thx
# Posted By digen | 6/25/08 9:00 AM
Great Tutorial, I got this working within a matter of seconds.

Thanks!
# Posted By Michael Neumann | 7/2/08 7:30 AM
Excellent tutorial. I have finally got what I've
wanted for my website. Works PERFECTLY!

Please check this out, especially if you're bored!
Not only full screen, but check out the controls on
the towercrane (lower left of screen). Move the
bucket in/out/up/down. Kind of fun.

Also, I put &quot;Open full window&quot; and &quot;Close this
window&quot; in the upper right corner of the stage. I
think it's kind of cool but you're comments are
welcome, especially if you agree;-)

Thanks for the help.
# Posted By Russell Houlden | 7/22/08 10:06 AM
I downloaded the file and updated my files in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS3\en\First Run\Classes\FP8\Stage.as
But I still cannot get this thing to work.

I did download the SWF that is on this page and it works fine.
So I know that is a compile problem the one that I am having.

The error reads:
   Scene = Scene 1, layer=SA, Frame= 1, line 26      There is no property with the name ‘displayStage’.

Like I say I already updated the Stage.as file and restarted my PC. What else can I try?
# Posted By Moises Zaragoza | 8/20/08 10:34 AM
Tahk you. the code work for me.
# Posted By Mario | 9/3/08 6:33 AM
Works like a dream :)
# Posted By Jaki Biofcic | 9/20/08 6:19 AM
With reference to s2soon's post about wanting to use it to make an OSx interface; If you intend to run it from the desktop, rather than the browser, then you're better off using:
fscommand(&quot;fullscreen&quot;, &quot;true&quot;);
and then to exit fullscreen you use:
fscommand(&quot;fullscreen&quot;, &quot;false&quot;);
To quit the desktop app then you can use:
fscommand(&quot;quit&quot;);
# Posted By Fl Lord | 11/22/08 4:26 AM
Thank you for this wonderful tutorial, what happens in cs3 flash? do we have to do the same for modifying the Stage.as?
# Posted By mauricio quiroga | 12/1/08 5:58 PM
hi,
i'd really like to know how to make a movieclip on the stage fullscreen rather than making the whole stage fullscreeen with a button. i'm working with as2.0 and i have a FLV file in a movie clip, i want to make a fullscreen button which would make this movieclip fullscreen when it is clicked and i don't want the other content on the stage be visible on fullscreen mode, i just want the mc to be seen on fullscreen mode.. hope i'm clear and any help would be appreciated a lot.
# Posted By naku | 12/17/08 5:46 AM
hi,
i desperately need a code in AS2.0 for a fullscreen button which would fullscreen only the mc on the stage and not the whole stage. I'm using Flash CS3. I already found several solutions for making the stage fullscreen on a browser but couldn't find a way to make just the movieclip fullscreen with the fullscreen button.. any help would be appreciated..
# Posted By missy | 12/17/08 7:44 AM
Don't work for me, nothing happens with click in my fullscreen button. By the other way I maked a right click fullscreen button and this work fine. Some help?
# Posted By Diseño web Ciudad Real | 2/16/09 3:23 AM
hi,when i full screen my file is at left side top corner,any way to fix it ? and the button when i full screen,it is at the center,is blocking my file,how can i make it go away? thx this AS really help me a lot ,THX!! but just this problem is bothering me.any one ? need some idea !!!
# Posted By christopher | 3/1/09 9:56 PM
¿¿¿ Any idea on how to activate input text in fullscreen mode ????

Or if somehow this can be making new versions of CS3 or CS4 ¡¡

This tool is very important

Thank you!
# Posted By AirFire | 3/8/09 5:36 PM
Very good tutorial
# Posted By wt | 3/14/09 11:49 PM
Thanks for the nice tut, im not using it but it helped me to find the fullscreen function in flash player 9. In order to center a mc in the stage (inside the mc is my actual site) im using this tutorial:
sadly it is in italian, but there are sample files that can be easily undestood, hope it helps!.
# Posted By triskelion | 3/23/09 4:01 PM
the problem everyone is having with displaystate.as is because flash often uses different places to source it's classes - to solve it simply add the class path via the publish settings tab in your flash movie. i.e from within flash file/publish settings/actionscript settings - then add the path to stage.as file you altered for e.g C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS3\en\First Run\Classes\FP8. then test it should work.
rgds + great tutorial.
MARK
# Posted By mark | 3/24/09 7:04 AM
great tutorial, very useful!! thanks
# Posted By pedro | 4/21/09 10:34 AM
THANK YOU!!!

This tutorial was all i needed.
Short, sweet, and straight to the point!!
Thank you!
# Posted By Bolaji Aladejana | 4/27/09 8:09 AM
Beautiful tutorial!

One thing I'd like to know:

Is there any way to scale the image to fill any users' resolution? At 1600 x 1200, we cover large monitors. But at 800 x 600, all that the users can see is the top corner of the image. If the monitor is a 24&quot; or larger, we begin to see a white border filling in the extra space. Can we fix this?
# Posted By Aaron | 6/23/09 8:12 AM
oddly enough, I solved the white-border-at-fullscreen-flash problem by making sure there's a 0px margin and padding in the body css and all background colors in flash and html are black (or the color you prefer).

Hope this helps
# Posted By Jos Faber | 7/23/09 8:06 AM
I was searching for this tutorials all over the net.I am much obliged to Julian for this great work.I am new to flash.I use flash 8.pro with AS.2.0.I wish to display my swf movies fullscreen with the help of this great tutorial.If this is possible please guide me how I can do this.
Thanks
# Posted By Raghavendra | 8/28/09 4:59 AM
Hi,
This tutorial, though it seems that a few of these flash developers have got it working, does not work for me. Updated stage.as in both locations i.e docAndSettings\myname\en.... and the one in the programme files, downloaded your fla .. nothing happens when clicked on the toggle btn.. If possible pls guide me.
# Posted By Addy | 12/9/09 2:42 AM
On returning to normal mode, the button is initially disabled until a third click.
I've found several true full screen tutorials. The coding is different but they all have the same bug. On retuning to normal screen, a double click is necessary. Additionally, it's not just the full screen function that is disabled until a double click: all buttons in the flash file are temporarily disabled.
# Posted By alex | 12/27/09 7:09 AM
en\First Run\Classes\ is empty , can anyone help me out?
# Posted By Ciprian | 1/30/10 12:10 PM
Thank you very much, it worked right away,
I didnt have to edit the class file coz am on CS3.
Thanks man, big ups.
# Posted By Moalosi | 3/17/10 2:06 AM
Great tutorial! Save my day. Even 3 years later it's still usefull because I'm using Flash 8 and there is no fullscreen natively.
# Posted By Gustavo | 3/30/10 2:37 PM
P.S.: I'd also try using fullScreenSourceRect, but couldn't make it recognize it. I'd put the static var at Stage class but Flash dont know Rectangle object natively, and doesn't allow &quot;import&quot; it from flash.geom. I let it as an object but doesnt work. Couldn't find somebody that knows the answare - maybe is the real limit for Flash 8. Everething, someday, get old and dies...
# Posted By Gustavo | 3/31/10 2:30 PM
I am writing a standalone app and trying to send part of my stage to full screen. It works if the app is not already set to full screen (using fscommand), but I can't go full screen &quot;twice&quot; so-to-speak. Anyone know of a way around this?
# Posted By RandomBracket.com | 4/6/10 4:41 PM
thanks for good tutorial. it was really helpfull ))
# Posted By Serik | 5/25/10 7:17 AM
Thanks,
I was trying to do it for last couple of days.

Finally, i find it.

best wishes from admec multimedia institute team, new delhi, india
# Posted By Ravi Bhadauria | 7/8/10 8:19 AM
the tutorial in great, thnx
for the ppl ending up with error

go to publish settings
in the flash tab
where it says &quot; actionscript version&quot;
you should have ActionScript 2.0
then click the button next to it &quot; settings&quot;
a small window will popup
click on the button with target sign &quot;browse to path&quot;
select path
&quot;C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS3\en\First Run\Classes\FP8&quot;
now publish your movie, it should work now.
one more thing the script will work if your running the swf file or if u have embedded it to the html page as in the tutorial.
best of luck
# Posted By Kashif | 7/20/10 3:22 AM
Thanks.
# Posted By Osama | 8/2/10 11:43 PM
Flash is no longer as confusing!

Thanks
Rebekah at http://www.webunlimited.com/
# Posted By Houston | 8/3/10 1:59 PM
BlogCFC was created by Raymond Camden. This blog is running version 5.7.002.